Senior Legal Counsel, Investing Products
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $20 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the Role
The Senior Legal Counsel, Investing Products will help build an innovative securities product ecosystem, including managed investing, stocks & ETFs, options and crypto. Our Investing products roadmap is new and novel, with no existing blueprint. We’re looking for an innovative thinker with strong commercial contract drafting and negotiation skills, who can dream and then execute within Canada’s complex securities law framework.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements that enable the development and execution of our Investing products roadmap and growth initiatives, including securities lending agreements (GMSLAs), ISDA agreements, investment management agreements, declarations of trust, subscription agreements, custody agreements, commercial agreements and a variety of other legal documents
- Providing legal advice on new Investing products, including drafting client agreements and disclosure, policies and associated documentation
- Communicating applicable risks, costs, progress and results of legal analyses to all relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Contributing actively to innovative ideas for growth and scalability, including new product features, account types and investment products
- Partnering with cross-functional teams working on cutting edge products using new technologies to enable securities-related investment innovation
Skills You Bring
- A law degree and minimum 4-7 years’ experience in securities, corporate and/or commercial law, gained at a major Canadian law firm or an in-house corporate legal department
- Experience with drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements used in the securities industry, particularly GMSLAs
- Familiarity with Canadian capital markets infrastructure and intermediaries, including securities dealers, investment fund managers, custodians, trustees, index providers and clearing agencies
- Advanced analytical skills and ability to proactively issue spot
- Ability to effectively apply risk-based frameworks to ambiguous problems
- Skills to effectively communicate complex legal concepts to non-legal audiences
- Project management and organizational skills that can be used to balance competing priorities
Nice to haves
- Fluency in French an asset
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led employee resource groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS) Employee Resource Groups
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.