Data Engineering Lead/Principal
TetraScience is the Scientific Data Cloud company with a mission to accelerate scientific discovery and improve and extend human life. The Scientific Data Cloud is the only open, cloud-native platform purpose-built for science that connects lab instruments, informatics software, and data apps across the biopharma value chain and delivers the foundation of harmonized, actionable scientific data necessary to transform raw data into accelerated and improved scientific outcomes. Through the Tetra Partner Network, market-leading vendors access the power of our cloud to help customers maximize the value of their data.
Our core values are designed to guide our behaviors, actions, and decisions such that we operate as one. We are looking to add high-performance team members that authentically and unconditionally embrace our values:
- Transparency and Context - We trust our people will make the right decisions and overcome any challenges when given data and context.
- Trust and Collaboration - We believe there can only be trust when there is transparency. We are committed to always communicating openly and honestly.
- Fearlessness and Resilience - We proactively run toward challenges of all types. We embrace uncertainty and we take calculated risks.
- Alignment with Customers - We are completely committed to ensuring our customers and partners achieve their missions and treat them with respect and humility.
- Commitment to Craft - We are passionate missionaries. We sweat the details, as the small things enable the big things.
- Equality of Opportunity - We seek out the best of the best regardless of gender, ethnicity, race, or age; We seek out those who embody our common values but bring unique and invaluable perspectives, talents, and advantages.
What You Will Do
You will be leading the Scientific Data Engineering (SDE) Team and help build Tetra Data which is the foundation of the Data Engineering layer. We are looking for a player-coach who is a seasoned data engineer and can be hands-on but can also provide mentorship to junior team members. As a Technical Lead, you should be comfortable leading internal design sessions and architecting solutions. You will work directly with Product Managers and Solution Architects to gather business and data design objectives, resulting in production-based solutions. As a Technical Lead, you will be a team-focused leader, have excellent data engineering skills, supervise and collaborate on project executions, and have a high commitment to customer success by delivering mission-critical implementations.
Our success is defined by collaboration. You will have tremendous support to achieve your objectives, from a variety of teams, both internal and external.
- Work with Product Managers and Solution Architects to understand business requirements, gather insight into potential positive outcomes, recommend potential outcomes, and build a solution based on consensus.
- Take ownership of building data models, prototypes, and integration solutions that drive customer success.
- Research and prototype data acquisition strategy for scientific lab instrumentation, prototype file parsers for instrument output files (.xlsx, .pdf, .txt, .raw, .fid, and many other vendor binaries).
- Quality gatekeeper: design with quality backed by unit tests, integration tests, and utility functions.
- Lead internal project post-mortems to identify areas of improvement on the next implementation.
- Rally the team to finish Agile Sprint commitments. Actively surfacing team inefficiencies and striving to resolve them.
- Driven by result. Have the pragmatic urgency to resolve blockers, unclear requirements and eventually make things happen.
- 10+ years of building solutions as a Data Engineer or similar fields.
- 10+ years working in Python and SQL with a focus on data.
- 10+ years of experience managing multiple customer-focused implementation projects across cross-functional teams, building sustainable processes, and managing delivery milestones.
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the confidence to take control of project delivery.
- Quickly understand a highly technical product and effectively communicate with product management and engineering.