Senior Security Engineer
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
At Starburst, we are working to dismantle the status quo of data silos and vendor lock-in every single day. For decades, database companies have held their customers hostage and we believe that’s just plain wrong. Starburst offers a full-featured data lake analytics platform, built on open source Trino. Our platform includes all the capabilities needed to discover, organize, and consume data without the need for time-consuming and costly migration projects. Today more than 300 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way as we bootstrapped the business with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We are a remote-first company with employees all over the world and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
As a Senior Security Engineer on the Starburst Security Engineering team, you’ll work with Starburst Galaxy Engineering and Starburst IT to design and secure cloud and data environments to meet our customers’ security needs for our growing fully-managed data lake analytics platform, Starburst Galaxy.
This role will be responsible for creating and maintaining a SaaS product and platform that is resilient against advanced threats to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of our organization.
Daily tasks will include designing and building security controls, operating security tooling, and collaborating with various stakeholders to ensure the security of our products and services.
As a Senior Security Engineer at Starburst you will:
- Design, build and maintain security controls for our core multi-cloud infrastructure and harden Starburst’s environment against cybersecurity threats.
- Assist with multi-year roadmap development for our hybrid clouds to guarantee a well-architected environment.
- Build and implement security solutions across the product lifecycle by completing architecture review requests.
- As the primary technical stakeholder, lead investigations in active security incident scenarios, supporting Starburst through the Incident Response Program lifecycle.
- Monitor vulnerability discoveries using the Wiz cloud environment platform as well as monitor alerts from the Logz.io cloud SIEM platform and ensure remediation of technical vulnerabilities within our Galaxy product.
- Review usage of current role permissions to implement least privilege access models within Starburst using tools such as Entitle.
- Assist the Governance, Risk and Compliance team with customer due diligence to inspire confidence in the security posture of Starburst within the marketplace (including completion of RFPs, attending customer calls, conducting vendor reviews and responding to prospect FAQs regarding our cybersecurity controls).
- Improve perimeter security by assisting with the management of our Cloudflare WAF.
Some of the things we look for:
- Demonstrated experience with securing cloud environments.
- Capacity to learn and apply new technologies quickly to respond to evolving challenges.
- Demonstrated ownership and grit: these are core values we take seriously at Starburst.
- Ability to execute - an ideal candidate can set clear plans of action and see complex security projects through to completion programming experience.
- Strong ability to work with multiple stakeholders to understand the best way to secure software for intricate and complex features. A willingness to collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams is essential.
Where could this role be based?
- We are very remote friendly and the job is open to those living in the US with preference to those based in Eastern Standard Timezone.
Why build your career at Starburst?
We live by our three core company values: Character, Competence, and Ownership and are a team of top performers. We are each in the driver’s seat, shaping our organization and working together towards our common mission. We are solving exceptionally complex and meaningful challenges here and as we innovate, we each have the opportunity to build our careers alongside Starbursts’s growth.
We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, flexible paid time off, and more!
Starburst Data is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. Everyone is welcome at the Starburst table and we have several employee resource groups such as Womxn At Starburst, Starburst Military, and Starburst Pride. We know that the more diverse perspectives we have at the table will only serve us to make a better team and company.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
See more open positions at Starburst
Something looks off?