Director, Marketing Operations
Marketing & Communications, Operations
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
At Starburst, we are working to dismantle the status quo of data silos and vendor lock-in every single day. For decades, database companies have held their customers hostage and we believe that’s just plain wrong. Starburst offers a full-featured data lake analytics platform, built on open source Trino. Our platform includes all the capabilities needed to discover, organize, and consume data without the need for time-consuming and costly migration projects. Today more than 300 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way as we bootstrapped the business with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We are a remote-first company with employees all over the world and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
We are looking to fill the role of Director of Marketing Operations to own short- and long-term marketing operations strategy and planning, lead key initiatives, marketing systems, and processes, and enable the marketing team to operate efficiently and scale productively. As a trusted advisor and essential partner to leaders across business units and functions (Marketing, Finance, Sales, and BD), you will help define and drive Marketing’s strategic direction. You will manage planning and operational processes to solve our toughest challenges, advocate for high-priority projects, and drive greater operational rigor within Marketing.
We are looking for someone with strong business acumen and operational aptitude as well as exceptional people and communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across all levels. You should have a hypothesis-driven approach to problem-solving, strong quantitative skills, and be comfortable addressing broad-reaching and ambiguous questions.
As a Director of Marketing Operations at Starburst you will:
- Partner with marketing leadership and cross-functional stakeholders to set marketing’s annual strategic plan globally, articulate marketing’s most critical short- and long-term priorities, and develop business cases for additional investment.
- Develop executive-level communication deliverables and own cadence of marketing reporting and ops reviews.
- Improve marketing efficiency and effectiveness by establishing and applying a rigorous approach to operational processes.
- Drive the design, implementation, and management of the Marketing tech stack including tool selection and vendor management.
- Build and deliver the marketing measurement roadmap in alignment with business objectives. Deliver a framework that enables data-driven campaign optimization.
- Partner with marketing to deliver detailed + exec-level quarterly business reviews, and establish a cadence with sales for reporting out marketing impact on pipeline growth.
- Lead the marketing data strategy including database growth, enrichment, hygiene, governance, quality, and security.
- Lead ongoing training and enablement for marketing on processes and tech stack.
- Own lead management, routing, and partner with the SDR team to ensure proper lead follow-up.
Some of the things we look for:
- 10 years experience in marketing operations at a growing organization with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Marketing operations experience for sales organizations selling SaaS products.
- Proven track record of impeccable business judgment, rigorous analytical problem solving, quantitative analysis, and communicating findings to executive leadership.
- Strong knowledge of MAP (Hubspot) and CRM (Salesforce).
- Experience coaching or managing junior team members; ability to work across teams, build relationships, and influence stakeholders.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and ability to work in a fast-changing environment, with an entrepreneurial approach.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated organizational, planning, and project management skills; the ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems and manage multiple initiatives.
Where could this role be based?
- We are very remote friendly and the job is open to those living in the US with preference to those based in the Boston area.
Why build your career at Starburst?
We live by our three core company values: Character, Competence, and Ownership and are a team of top performers. We are each in the driver’s seat, shaping our organization and working together towards our common mission. We are solving exceptionally complex and meaningful challenges here and as we innovate, we each have the opportunity to build our careers alongside Starbursts’s growth.
We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, flexible paid time off, and more!
Starburst Data is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. Everyone is welcome at the Starburst table and we have several employee resource groups such as Womxn At Starburst, Starburst Military, and Starburst Pride. We know that the more diverse perspectives we have at the table will only serve us to make a better team and company.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.