Backend Engineer - Internship (6 months)
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2022
Our mission? Creating the finance solution that energizes SMEs and freelancers, so they can achieve more. We simplify everything from everyday banking to bookkeeping and spend management. At Qonto, we’re passionate about creating the best product, so if you’re looking for an ambitious team that’s revolutionizing an old-fashioned industry, get in touch!
Our journey: Alexandre and Steve launched Qonto in July 2017. Since then, the team has earned the trust of more than 400,000 customers and opened offices in Paris, Berlin, Milan, and Barcelona. Last summer, we joined forces with Penta, a market leader based in Berlin and Belgrade, forming a united team of 1,300 Qontoers. We also made it to the LinkedIn Top Companies French ranking!
Ambition | We tackle big challenges. No matter what.
Teamwork | We create momentum by working together, at the same speed.
Mastery | We pursue excellence through continuous learning. We face challenges with humility. Every day.
Integrity | We're open. We're honest. And we earn the trust of our clients and each other.
You can find out more about the Qonto Way here.
Our beliefs: Our goal at Qonto is to create a warm and welcoming environment where individuals from all walks of life can truly thrive. We've gone above and beyond to ensure that every applicant is evaluated solely based on their skills and potential, rather than their gender, ethnicity, age, (dis)ability, or any other irrelevant factor. Our team consists of 49% international individuals, with 44% women and 20% parents. With this diversity, we are a powerful force! Join us in our mission to build a workplace that celebrates diversity and embraces individuality. Discover the steps we took to create a discrimination-free hiring process.
Our career track: At Qonto, we cherish your unique skills, breaking away from conventional labels like "senior" or "director," and instead, offering personalized career tracks and expertise levels from 1 to 9 that truly celebrate your impact!
We are currently looking for our next end-of-study interns (Bac +5), to work from our office located in Paris
The Backend engineering team at Qonto currently has over 130 highly skilled engineers, from all over the world, working closely in cross-functional teams to shape our finance solutions. Each backend developer is empowered to challenge and influence the direction of the features they are working on.
👩💻🧑💻 As a Backend Engineering Intern at Qonto, you will :
🧠 Join a cross-functional team and build innovative financial features such as: providing a blazing fast and reliable card authorization service, innovative transfers solutions, delightful onboarding experience, state-of-the-art payment gateway, etc
🎙 Participate in the discussions on the strategy & vision for our product by being fully involved and integrated into our cross-functional organization (Tech, Product & Design)
⚙️ Work in a top-notch environment, where our apps are thoroughly tested, continuously deployed, and closely monitored
🤝 Learn and grow: by getting continuous feedback to improve your skills (both technical and on your ways of working). You will partner closely with a dedicated Backend engineer who will teach you and guide you throughout the internship. You will learn to read, write and review production-ready Golang and Ruby applications
💻 Our stack
Qonto was originally built as a banking application in Ruby. The Core Banking System was then written in Golang for obvious performance reasons. We are now leveraging both languages to write our new applications.
However, not mastering Ruby, and Golang is not an issue at all! A lot of Qontoers have learned since they joined us.
To help you to quickly learn and grow on our stack, beyond the documentation & pair programming, we have a specific program for you and your dedicated mentor will be there to answer all your questions.
At Qonto you’ll encounter different technologies around storage, communication, and deployment: PostgreSQL, Kafka, ElasticSearch. You’ll learn how to use Docker, Kubernetes, and Grafana.
🤔 What you can expect: our methodology, the Qonto Way
• We highly value the analysis phase on software delivery. We're putting a heavy emphasis on upfront technical designs, team reviews, and smart slicing. You can expect to focus on quality, which we believe drives the velocity our customers need.
• We think success comes from a space where you're given time, support, and autonomy to improve yourself, our systems and our processes. Our lean toolbox enables you to monitor your constant improvements (Kaizen, PDCA) in a collaborative way with your peers and manager.
• Our engineers, working in cross-functional teams, dedicate themselves to one feature at a time.
• You have some experience coding in Golang, Python, Ruby, or a similar language and you know the basics of SQL
• You are product-minded: you are committed to building a great experience for our users
• You understand the principles of why and how we test code
• You are curious, open-minded, and eager to learn
• You are comfortable with English
• Bonus point if you have development experience on a live production quality application
At Qonto we understand that true diversity isn't just about ticking boxes on a hiring checklist. Apply regardless of the boxes you tick! Who knows? You may have the missing piece of the puzzle we've been searching for all along ☺️
⚠️ Certain of our perks and benefits are only available to employees on permanent contracts
A laptop. An inclusive work environment. A tailor-made career track. And so much more to help you succeed.
- Monthly team events
- Tailor-made remote work policy depending on the job you apply for
- 25 days of paid leave + 5 Qonto days or 25 days of paid leave + 10 RTT +/-
- Alan health insurance, Moka Care to take care of your mental health, and Gymlib for sports and wellness activities
- A Swile lunch card: 50% covered
- A progressive parenthood policy as part of our commitment to the Parental Act (1 in 6 of Qonto employees is a parent!) and childcare benefits with selected partners
💪 Our hiring process:
- Interviews with your Talent Acquisition Manager and future managers
- A remote exercise to demonstrate your skills and give you a taste of what working at Qonto could be like
We will send you an interview guide so you can best prepare yourself.
On average our process lasts 20 working days and offers usually follow within 48 hours 🤞
Thank you for considering joining Qonto. We cannot wait to learn more about you!
One last thing. We recently raised 486M€ in our Series D to ensure we keep growing safely, despite the current economic environment looking a bit gloomy. We revealed our plans for the future here.
To learn more about us:
To know how your personal data will be processed during your application process or to request its deletion, please click here.