Director of User Research
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
Hinge Health is creating a new health care system, built around you. Accessible to 25 million members across 1,250 customers, Hinge Health is the #1 digital clinic for joint and muscle pain, delivering superior member outcomes and proven claims reductions. We pair the industry’s most advanced motion technology and wearable pain relief with a complete clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches to help people move beyond pain and reduce surgeries and opioid use. Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 1 million+ in-person providers to enable earlier interventions for avoidable MSK surgeries. Four in five health plans and employers with a digital MSK solution trust Hinge Health, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon. Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Here at Hinge Health, we welcome all applicants and know a diverse team makes us better and stronger. We look for individuals who embody our leadership principles and we value varied experiences and skill sets. Beyond specific work experience, we also look for unique capabilities and skill sets that are key indicators an applicant will thrive in our fast-paced, frequently evolving environment. If this sounds like the kind of place you’d like to be part of, please apply - we would love to hear from you!
What does Hybrid mean at Hinge Health?
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Some roles which require a greater degree of day-to-day collaboration will benefit from more in-person opportunities. That’s why we are encouraging employees near hubs to have in-person engagement and why we plan to localize our hiring strategy for certain teams to grow within designated hubs. For this position we require the individual to reside in one of the following areas: Austin, Portland, San Francisco or Seattle.
About the Role
The Design & UX Group is highly multidisciplinary made up of designers from all backgrounds (product, industrial, visual, motion, etc), researchers, content strategists, program managers, and more.
The Director of User Experience Research is a senior leadership role within the growing Hinge Health Design & UX org. This role will lead the team responsible for delivering user insights to our product and design teams. You should have a talent for seeing the big picture, providing strategic guidance on the best areas to research to inform product plans and roadmaps. The position will require taking a creative approach to methodology - introducing new methods, processes, and approaches to elevate the organization's human-centered practice. This role is also responsible for the practical matters of ensuring the successful execution of research within the team. This means creating budgetary parameters, managing work against milestones, allocating resources, and reviewing and critiquing deliverables. You should be undaunted by rolling up your sleeves and supporting the range of research efforts across the team. As a people manager, this role will work effectively to build, coach, and mentor the team.
This highly strategic and innovative design role is the key to scaling the Hinge Health product offerings, while fundamentally changing the standard of care. You will have a direct impact in improving the lives of people struggling with muscular skeletal health conditions.
Come join us. https://www.hingehealth.design/
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Lead our research team responsible for our delivering user insights across our product portfolio
- Support and coach researchers to collaborate effectively with cross-functional partners, translating their curiosities into actionable research questions
- Help the team work on the most impactful highest leverage problems to drive the business forward
- Lead a team responsible for designing mixed-method studies, helping them push the boundaries of creative methodologies to gain insights and build empathy with those we serve
- Guiding the combining and analyzing of quantitative and qualitative data to inspire product strategy, encourage design iteration, and determine the successful features during pilots and post-launch
- Hire and develop a diverse array of research at scale to drive the best practices and methodology in an inclusive and psychologically safe environment.
- You will thoughtfully scale and foster a growing community of HH Researchers and Product Designers and implement meaningful mechanisms & systems to help the team thrive.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 8-12+ years of User Experience, Marketing and/or Design Research
- 7-10+ years of managing user research or product design teams
- A strong body of innovative, customer-centric research work that demonstrates proficiency in insight delivering and strategy.
- Proven ability to deliver insights in a variety of forms that move work forward with clarity
- Solid history in leading research or design strategy for consumer products (hardware, software and service)
- Ability to provide strong influence and impact on product direction by being a thoughtful, proactive partner with Product and Design colleagues
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate research insights clearly and persuasively across different audiences and at all levels of the organization.
- Fluent understanding user empathy and how to creatively solve for ambiguous challenges
- Masterful time management, organizational skills and executional ability.
- Forge relationships with cross-functional partners by building trust among internal partners and driving influence in decision-making across the teams
- Stong, committed, nurturing leader with proven experience scaling teams with high quality results, low attrition, and thriving team members
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals and stakeholders from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Consumer Health Experience— you have a passion for contributing to consumer-grade experiences for patients. You understand the nuances of PHI and the importance of navigating it in the research process.
- Master of many method — you research seamlessly across qualitative and quantitative methods, inspiring the team to try new ways of working.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment.
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible pto program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days.
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity.
About Hinge Health:
LinkedIn recently named Hinge Health one of the Top 50 Startups. Forbes, Fast Company, and Inc. have also recognized our technology, innovation, and culture.
Since our founding in 2014, we've raised more than $800 million from leading investors, including Coatue and Tiger Global. We work with 1000 customers across every industry and the public sector — including Salesforce, Verizon, and the State of New Jersey — to give more than 23 million people access to the care they need. We’re positioned to continue leading the market with unmatched investments in clinical research, care innovation, machine learning, AI, and computer vision.
Diversity and inclusion:
We’re committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve. Visit hingehealth.com/diversity-equity-and-inclusion to learn more about what moves us.
Hinge Health is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, let us know by reaching out to your recruiter.
There continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real employees and sending fictitious job offers to applicants in a scheme to obtain sensitive information. Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the US FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please do not send resumes via email*
If you're interested - we'd love to hear from you.
See more open positions at Hinge Health
Something looks off?