Software Engineering, Legal
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2023
Harness is a high-growth startup that is disrupting the software delivery market. Our mission is to enable the 30 million software developers in the world to deliver code to their users reliably, efficiently, securely and quickly, increasing customers’ pace of innovation while improving the developer experience. We offer solutions for every step of the software delivery lifecycle to build, test, secure, deploy and manage reliability, feature flags and cloud costs. The Harness Software Delivery Platform includes modules for CI, CD, Cloud Cost Management, Feature Flags, Service Reliability Management, Security Testing Orchestration, Chaos Engineering, Software Engineering Insights and continues to expand at an incredibly fast pace.
Harness is led by technologist and entrepreneur Jyoti Bansal, who founded AppDynamics and sold it to Cisco for $3.7B. We’re backed with $425M in venture financing from top-tier VC and strategic firms, including J.P. Morgan, Capital One Ventures, Citi Ventures, ServiceNow, Splunk Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adage Capital Partners, Balyasny Asset Management, Gaingels, Harmonic Growth Partners, Menlo Ventures, IVP, Unusual Ventures, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Alkeon Capital, Battery Ventures, Sorenson Capital, Thomvest Ventures and Silicon Valley Bank.
The mission of Harness is to empower the 30M+ developers in the world with the ability to deliver software to end customers with the highest velocity, highest quality, highest security, highest reliability, and lowest costs, all without compromising on the necessary governance guardrails. According to a recent analyst study, less than five percent of organizations achieve that goal today.
As a Developer Advocate at Harness, you will further our mission by reaching and educating peer developers on the breadth and depth of CI/CD-driven software delivery. You will partner with Product, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing teams to create technical content, distribute across multiple mediums, reaching various communities, and tying it with campaigns around our product. In DevRel at Harness, we engage with the challenges facing technical users, specifically around automating build artifact generation and deploying these artifacts to production after comprehensive pre-production testing, using CI/CD pipelines and Kubernetes/GitOps workflows. You will be the subject matter expert of all key user and buyer features of the Harness CI and CD modules. You will understand how these features are categorized into differentiation vs. table stakes. And you will also deeply understand where exactly competing products are weak on differentiation. You will create a content plan that increases user acquisition and activation by highlighting the Harness differentiation, align it across the company, and execute; which includes metrics and dissemination of results back to the company.
About the Role
- Directly own the CI/CD user acquisition metric (via free SaaS plan signups) and assist Product & Community Engineering teams in the user activation and engagement metrics
- Build awareness and motivate developers/DevOps engineers to build CI/CD pipelines in Harness that leverage Harness's differentiators around fast, high quality, secure, reliable and efficient software delivery
- Be hands-on. Develop and maintain resources for developers, such as open source demos and software tools, code samples, documentation, how-to guides, and tutorials
- Present at conferences, meetups as well as organize hands-on workshops in key regions
- Participate in the cloud-native ecosystem and community, building strong relationships with developers, DevOps/Cloud/Platform engineers
- Engage external communities like Stack Overflow, GitHub, Slack, Reddit, and Discord to identify new resources that should be created and own the delivery of those pieces
- Partner with Product, Community Engineering, and nearly every function in Marketing from Integrated/Events to Product Marketing to develop the best content and great product narratives
- 5+ years as a developer and 3+ years in an advocacy or educational role such as developer relations/evangelism, creating technical content, leading a community of developers via forums or events
- You have 3+ examples of technical educational content aimed for professional developers (e.g. tutorial, video series, blog series, course)
- At least one example of your own dedicated blogs, forum or sites with a developer-focused audience and can speak to how you measured success and what promotional mechanisms you used to drive top of funnel visibility
- At least one professional project using DevOps technologies. Preference for those with expertise in Kubernetes, GitOps (Argo CD or Flux) and Jenkins.
- Have a proven track record in understanding ROI, reporting and analytics, including understanding metrics for developer engagement.
- Ability to prioritize competing opportunities and balance user needs versus business priorities
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
- Scrappy & has a mindset that done is better than perfect.
What you will have at Harness
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid Time Off and Parental Leave
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual social and team building events
- TGIF-Off program
- Remote office stipend
- Monthly internet reimbursement
- Monthly Food & Beverage Reimbursement Program
Harness in the News
- Harness Snags $230 Series D - $3.7B Valuation
- Harness Recognized in Inc.'s Best Workplace Awards 2022
- Harness on LinkedIn: America's Great Companies to Work For -- And What You Can Learn From
- #6 - Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2021 list
- #17 on Forbes Top 50 Cloud Companies to Work For
- #47 on LinkedIn’ Top 50 Companies to Work For
- #2 on Quartz 2021 list best places to work for remote workers
- 2021 Career Launching Companies List
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
See more open positions at Harness
Something looks off?