Senior Specialist Solutions Architect
As a Senior Specialist Solutions Architect (Sr SSA), you will guide customers in building big data solutions on Databricks that span a large variety of use cases with complex/specialized needs. This is a customer-facing role, working with and supporting the Solution Architects, requiring hands-on production experience with SQL and data warehousing and expertise in other data technologies. SSAs help customers through design and successful implementation of essential workloads while aligning their technical roadmap for expanding the usage of the Databricks Lakehouse Platform. As a deep go-to-expert reporting to the Specialist Field Engineering Manager, you will continue to strengthen your technical skills through mentorship, learning, and internal training programs to consolidate the skills in your area of specialty.
The impact you will have:
- Provide technical leadership to guide strategic customers to successful implementations on big data projects, ranging from architectural and security design to development and deployment best practices.
- Provide guidance, best practices and oversight for large-scale enterprise data warehouse migrations, serving as a trusted technical advisor to senior tech leads and executives
- Become a technical expert in areas such as cloud platforms, data management, performance, and architecture
- Assist Solution Architects with more advanced aspects of the technical sale including custom proof of concept content, workload sizing, and custom architectures
- Create best practices assets and thought leadership content to be used by the wider field engineering team
- Improve community adoption (through tutorials, training, hackathons, conference presentations)
- Contribute to the Databricks Community, act as a technical SME and drive initiatives to improve efficiency beyond their immediate team.
- You will mentor junior team members during onboarding and by shadowing reverse shadowing.
What we look for:
- Pre-sales or post-sales experience working with external clients across a variety of industry markets
- Ability to design highly performant, scalable, secure and cost effective cloud-based data solutions, and articulate architectures and design choices to customer's senior stakeholders.
- Experience with design and implementation of a broad range of data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, NoSQL, OLTP, OLAP, and ETL/ELT.
- Hands-on experience working with MPP data warehouse appliances (Oracle Exadata, Teradata, IBM Netezza, ) or cloud data warehouses (Amazon Redshift, Azure Synapse, Snowflake)
- Familiarity with common data modelling methodologies such as dimensional modelling, Data Vault, Inmon
- Extensive knowledge and experience in SQL language or any SQL dialect (PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, etc.)
- Experience with BI tools such Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, or others
- Deep knowledge of development tools and best practices for data engineers including CI/CD, unit and integration testing, plus automation and orchestration
- Production programming experience in one or more of the following languages - Python, Scala, or R
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- This role can be remote and can travel up to 30% when needed.
- Employer contributions to public or private health plan
- Equity awards
- Paid parental leave
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Business travel insurance
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.