Engineering Leader, Foundational Infra and Reliability
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
You will be the engineering manager for the Foundational Infrastructure and Reliability Engineering team at Benchling.
This team is responsible for driving reliability at Benchling. This means defining, evangelizing, and directly executing processes and programs to improve the reliability, resilience, and recoverability of Benchling’s SaaS offerings, and offering visibility into the success of such initiatives.
The team is heavily reliant on observability tooling to accomplish its goals, and owns the observability tools we use for application metrics, logging, and tracing.
The team provides oversight on all cloud spend at Benchling and puts safeguards in place to proactively provide cost governance.
Finally, the team also provides other Infra teams with tools to implement infrastructure changes in a reliable and safe manner. This involves, for example, owning and managing Terraform Cloud workspaces for all teams at Benchling.
As the engineering leader, you will:
- Lead and manage a team of Software Engineers, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team members, supporting their professional growth and development.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and maintenance of highly reliable and scalable infrastructure components, including servers, networks, databases, and storage.
- Own critical business processes including incident, problem, site availability, and performance management, and associated tools and business outcomes
- Be the cross-functional leader of Technical Operations process, and drive operational excellence and accountability. Drive continuous improvement initiatives, analyzing incidents and problems to identify root causes and implement preventive measures.
- Own observability tools and improve ROI. Develop strategies for monitoring the performance and health of critical systems and applications, ensuring proactive detection and resolution of issues.
- Contribute to the technical strategy and architecture of the infrastructure, aligning it with the company's business objectives and growth plans.
- Collaborate with external vendors and service providers to evaluate and integrate third-party tools and services that enhance reliability.
- Build and maintain comprehensive documentation of systems, processes, and best practices to facilitate knowledge sharing and training.
- Establish and operationalize SRE model for the company
- Implement cost governance for cloud, observability and other spend areas. Collaborate with engineering teams to forecast resource requirements and implement scaling strategies to meet demand effectively.
- Champion a culture of decentralized DevOps of ‘you build it you run it’
- Enhancing Benchling’s platform resilience through innovative practices. Own Disaster Recovery.
- Drive the development of automation tools and processes to streamline deployment, configuration management, and infrastructure scaling.
To succeed in this role, you ideally are:
- An engineering manager for 3+ years, or a manager of managers for 1+ years
- A hands on software engineer for 5+ years
- An IaaS/PaaS expert with strong technical skills in AWS, Python, GraphQL, Datadog, BuildKite/Jenkins, ArgoCD, and Terraform
- Proficient in driving SRE adoption in a medium or large-sized organization
- Experienced in driving DR strategy
- Exceptional in cross-functional program managemen
The following make you a preferred candidate:
- A strong understanding of cloud computing and microservices architectures with operations experience at scale
- SRE leadership experience with hands on SW Development skills
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location.
ZONE 1: $205,190 to $277,610
ZONE 2: $190,825 to 258,175
ZONE 3: $184,705 to $249,895
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.