Security Data Engineer
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As a Security Data Engineer at Benchling you’ll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program from the ground up. Our focus is on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security and embracing automation to keep up with the company as we continue to grow. We’re looking for engineers who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
- Designing, constructing, testing and maintaining a robust, reliable, and scalable security data pipeline infrastructure.
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers on threat detection engineering (e.g alerts, searches, reports, etc.).
- Partnering with the multiple engineering teams on internal and customer facing security and privacy initiatives, ensuring that security data accessibility, quality, and reliability are taken into account.
- Employing an array of technological tools to integrate with 3rd-party data systems.
- Partnering with Security Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Software Engineering on security feature roadmaps and security architecture.
- Researching new detection mechanisms for attack vectors and techniques relevant to our space and presenting findings to both internal and external audiences.
- Developing set processes for data mining, data modeling, and data production.
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers during incident response and investigations.
- Evaluating external tooling, developing new automation and tooling.
- Helping to rapidly scale our team. As a member of the security team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our own tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- 5+ years of working on backend infrastructure/data systems or with application/infrastructure logging pipelines
- 4+ years of those years of experience in Security Engineering or related experience
- Experience writing code, designing systems and data workflows, optimizing data processing algorithms, and systems to support security data analytics.
- In-Depth knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure and its associated security suites (e.g., IAM, GuardDuty, Inspector, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, etc)
- Familiarity with modern infrastructure technologies such as: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Cloudformation, Kinesis.
- Relevant development experience in at least one scripting language, preferably Python
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw Security data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Detection and Response experience (Detection Engineering, Digital Forensics, Incident Response, and/or Threat Intelligence)
- Technical leadership skills (you enjoy being a tech lead, mentoring technologists, evangelizing security and privacy)
- Plus: Contributions to the security community via talks, papers, blogs, projects, CVEs, etc.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is:
- ZONE 1: $162,265 to $219,535
- ZONE 2: $150,960 to $204,240
- ZONE 3: $146,115 to $197,685
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-KW1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?