Head of Platform and Infrastructure Product
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
We’re looking for a Product Leader to own the expansion and evolution of the Benchling Platform. In this critical role, it will be your job to inspire and influence your own and the broader Benchling team to deliver the strategy and features that define the modern stack for biological R&D data and applications. From supporting customer developers and admins, to third party software developers as well as the Benchling development team—the ideal person understands and is passionate about the primitives and tools that power a customizable, extensible, and scientific data-centric application platform. This person is comfortable using data to inform priorities, while also demonstrating strong customer empathy with solid product instincts.
To be successful in this role, you will hone a deep understanding of the Benchling product inspired by its capabilities and our customers’ core jobs to drive new platform requirements. You'll work to build strong relationships across the business that are founded on trust and communication, allowing yourself to move quickly while maintaining alignment. This will be true not only for our Engineering, Product, and Design teams, but also with our Go-to-Market teams across Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience, and more.
Beyond building strong relationships within Benchling, your empathy for customers will inform your subject matter expertise to truly understand their needs within the fast-changing and technically complex fields of biotechnology and chemistry.
- Partner with our external and internal customers to constantly refine your understanding of their needs, how we can make them more productive, and the market opportunities they represent
- Lead and develop a team of Product Managers in building out the ways customers configure, build and integrate on Benchling
- Work with Product and Engineering partners to ensure the Benchling infrastructure supports the security, scalability and reliability our customers expect
- Partner with leadership teams across Product, Engineering, Design, and Strategy to build and refine our strategy, organization, product roadmaps, and approach to execution
- Reimagine and redefine how our customers and partners interact with Benchling through APIs, an application framework and the core primitives that can be extended to model use cases beyond the Benchling offering
- Measure the impact of your team and work by defining success metrics, tracking progress, and adapting your plans based on insights from that data
- Possess a drive to question assumptions and validate hypotheses—obsessing over getting the product details right while still knowing how to ship on time
- You’ve successfully built and managed world-class enterprise SaaS Product Management teams to build complex platform products that serve complex customers.
- You have 10+ years as a product leader working on enterprise SaaS platforms with at least 5+ years of experience as a people manager and a track record of recruiting and building successful product teams.
- You thrive in the challenge of distilling clarity and focus from ambiguity and complexity, and are a strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements—turning them into successful product strategies.
- You possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your direct team, company peers, and company leadership.
- You have a growth mindset that allows you to change your mind and readily admit mistakes. You ask for and give direct feedback.
- You are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and verbal form, both for internal and external communication.
- Ideally, you have experience with both life sciences R&D and high growth software technology companies.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $223,040-$334,560.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.